The BC Indigenous REGIONAL Basketball Camps will be held in various locations across the province on the weekends of Sept 14-15, Sept 28-29, or October 5-6. Attend ONE of the Regional Camps nearest or most convenient for you. Players will go through a two and a half (2.5) hour select format of drills/skills assessment, conducted by our NCCP certified evaluators, with the goal to be advanced to Phase 2.
Athletes must pre-register and submit camp registration fee before deadline of 4:00 PM of the Monday prior to the camp they are registering for (i.e. Deadline of Monday, September 9 for participation in September 14-15 camp; Deadline of Monday, September 23 for participation in September 28-29 camp, etc.). Registration is open to eligible participants.
PHASE 2: The Invitational BC Indigenous Basketball Provincial Selection Camp held November 15-17 in Richmond, BC. Only those athletes who have been identified and invited from the Phase 1 process are eligible to participate in this final Team BC Selection event where athletes will be evaluated by the designated Team BC NAIG coaching staff for the respective age/division.
ELIGIBILITY: As part of the Team BC selection process for 2020 NAIG, athletes must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
• Meet age specific requirements
• Be of Canadian/American Indigenous ancestry (First Nations, Inuit, Métis)*
• Be a resident of BC
• Have current membership with Basketball BC (for those who need to obtain/renew, their membership fee is $15)
*Proof of ancestry is required for NAIG – If a participant does not possess Status/Treaty card or Provincial Métis card, there is a Declaration of Indigenous Ancestry Form that must be completed and submitted together with supporting documentation (e.g. letter from Band/Métis Charter community/ISC, copy of parent’s card together with long form birth certificate of athlete that names the parent). The form is available by request at email@example.com.
Please note that any athlete that requires the Declaration of Indigenous Ancestry form is not guaranteed eligibility to Team BC to compete at 2020 NAIG until the Declaration and supporting documentation is approved and endorsed by Team BC for submitting to NAIG.
For more information and a copy of the form, visit https://aboriginalsportbc.wufoo.com/forms/declaration-of-indigenous-ancestry/. Questions regarding eligibility, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
REGISTRATION: The registration fee for attending a Regional Camp is $20.00 per athlete. Our paypal system is currently down and payments by cheque or money order (made out to BCAAFC) will be accepted. Info to be provided in confirmation email.
* PLEASE NOTE – As this is a Team BC program and Basketball BC sanctioned event, all participants must be a current member of Basketball BC to participate. Athletes who do not have current 2019/2020 Basketball BC membership may purchase/renew their membership directly with Basketball BC ($15). Athletes who played in high school system may already have current membership.
To view your Basketball BC account, or obtain/renew your membership, please visit:
Important things to know/remember:
– Athletes must pre-register and fee must be paid before participation permitted.
– Athletes must check-in 30 – 60 min prior to their applicable time slot (age/gender) of their Regional camp.
– Athletes will need to present their CareCard and their proof of Indigenous ancestry (e.g. Status card/Provincial Métis card which also serves as their photo ID). Athletes who need to use the Declaration of Indigenous ancestry form will need to bring a copy of their supporting documents with their CareCard.
– Athletes will need to bring a dark and a light coloured shirt.
– Athletes are encouraged to bring their own basketball if you have one (clearly marked with their name) as there are only a limited number of spare balls available at these events.
– Bring your own water bottle for refilling.
– Athletes will be evaluated under the same format and evaluation tools at all camps. A Team BC NAIG Coach will be at each camp to lead this first phase of evaluations for all ages/genders.
– Athletes will be informed by way of an invitation letter whether they have been advanced to the 2nd and final phase of the selection process (Provincial Camp – November 15-17 in Richmond, BC).
REGIONAL CAMP SCHEDULE: Please note these schedules may be subject to change based on registration numbers.
|Fraser/Van Coastal||Vancouver||Britannia Sec.||Sept 14-15|
|Northeast||Prince George||John McInnes Jr Sec||Sept 28-29|
|Interior||Kamloops||Sk’elep School||Sept 28-29|
|Northwest||Terrace||Thornhill Jr Sec.||Oct 5-6|
|Island||Nanaimo||Snuneymuxw Community hall||Oct 5-6|
Asst. Chef de Mission, Team BC