Honour Your Health Challenge
The Honour Your Health Challenge (HYHC) is a 6 week community-based program that encourages innovation and needs-based approaches to promoting healthy, active lifestyles in First Nations, Métis Chartered Communities, and Friendship Centres throughout the province. Some examples of HYHC programs include traditional dance off competitions and classes, nutrition awareness & introductions to new foods, sports camps, tobacco reduction education and support programs, etc. Since 2011 over 540 leaders have been trained, reaching over 16,000 participants involved in the HYHC program activities.
As part of the Regional Leader Training Sessions, ISPARC delivers a series of workshops to prepare HYHC Community Leaders for their role in planning and delivering their own 6-week community-based project. Community projects will promote healthy life choices in the areas of increased physical activity, healthy eating, reduction of tobacco misuse, and healthy pregnancies.
2017 Regional Leader Training Workshops will include:
- Holistic Wellness Model
- FitNation / Nordic Walking
- Mental Wellness
- Substance Use and Cessation
- Regional Resource Panel
- Physical Literacy
If you have an idea for a workshop please contact us at the information provided below.
Some examples of HYHC projects include:
- Community “Top Chef” competitions
- Tobacco awareness & alternatives
- Plant identification hikes
- Traditional Canoe (carving and pulling)
- Amazing Race style scavenger hunts
- Girls fitness, including emotional well-being & nutrition
- Boys fitness through cultural activities, hunting, snowshoeing, and berry picking
- Healthy eating and traditional diets
- Community no soda pop challenge
Best Western Inn
Coast Inn of the North
Oct. 5 -6