Honour Your Health Challenge
The Honour Your Health Challenge (HYHC) is a 6 week community-based program that encourages innovation and needs-based approaches to promoting healthy, active lifestyles in First Nations, Métis Chartered Communities, and Friendship Centres throughout the province. Some examples of HYHC programs include weekly hiking groups, jigging, cooking classes, traditional harvesting, tobacco awareness programs, pregnancy support groups and many more!
Since 2011 over 850 leaders have been trained, reaching over 25,000 participants across the province.
As part of the Healthy Living Leader Training Sessions, ISPARC delivers a series of workshops to prepare HYHC Leaders for their role in planning and delivering their own 6-week community-based project. Community projects will promote healthy life choices in the areas of increased physical activity, healthy eating, respecting tobacco, and healthy pregnancies.
Some examples of HYHC projects include:
- Community “Top Chef” competitions
- Tobacco awareness & alternatives
- Plant identification hikes
- Traditional Canoe (carving and pulling)
- Amazing Race style scavenger hunts
- Girls fitness, including emotional well-being & nutrition
- Boys fitness through cultural activities, hunting, snowshoeing, and berry picking
- Healthy eating and traditional diets
- Community no soda pop challenge
Tsimshian – Terrace
Best Western Inn
Lhedli T'enneh – Prince George
Coast Inn of the North
Tk'emlups – Kamloops
Snuneymuxw – Nanaimo
Sumas – Abbotsford