Sport & Physical Activity Coordinator – Interior Region
The mission of the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Council (I·SPARC) is to improve the health outcomes of Indigenous people throughout British Columbia by supporting and encouraging physically active communities. The programs delivered by I·SPARC are designed to build capacity and increase access to sport, recreation and physical activity in First Nations, Métis Chartered Communities, Aboriginal Friendship Centres, schools, and other delivery agencies across the province.
I·SPARC is seeking a candidate to fill the following full-time staff vacancy: Sport and Physical Activity Coordinator for the Interior Region. Reporting to the Manager, Sport Development & Community Engagement and working closely with the Regional Lead and Coordinating Group of their respective Regional Committee, the primary role of the Regional Coordinator is to engage communities, partners, groups in the design and delivery of community-based, culturally relevant sport, recreation and physical activity programs for Indigenous people throughout the Region. The ideal candidate will possess an extensive background in the areas of sport, recreation and physical activity and have established networks/connections among Indigenous communities and organizations within the Region. Successful applicant will be required to reside in the region (Interior region map available at http://isparc.ca.
Competencies and Requirements
- Post-secondary degree/certificate
- Applied knowledge of Indigenous community issues in BC
- Work experience in the field of sport, recreation, and physical activity
- Event and project management experience
- Strong verbal, written communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Able to travel throughout the region to promote and support the delivery of programs (requiring a flexible work schedule and a valid driver’s license)
- Successful completion of criminal record and vulnerable sector checks
Term: Full-time employment contingent on annual funding
Salary: $46,000 – $50,000 annually (based on a 35 hour work week) which includes a comprehensive health benefit package
Location: Office space will be established in a central location within the Region. The BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres (BCAAFC) serves as the official Host Agency of I·SPARC. Accordingly, the Regional Coordinator will be employed by the BCAAFC.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references no later than 5:00 pm PST, Friday, May 3, 2019 via the online application form: https://aboriginalsportbc.wufoo.com/forms/employment-app-regional-coordinator-interior. Cover letter to the attention of Lara Mussell – Director, Sport. All applications are appreciated, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to qualified applicants of Aboriginal ancestry.