Provincial Coordinator – Performance Sport (maternity leave – 12 month term)
The mission of the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Council (I·SPARC) is to improve the health outcomes of Indigenous people throughout British Columbia by supporting and encouraging physically active communities. The programs delivered by I·SPARC are designed to build capacity and increase access to sport, recreation and physical activity in First Nations, Métis Chartered Communities, Aboriginal Friendship Centres, schools, and other delivery agencies across the province.
I·SPARC is seeking a candidate to fill the following temporary full-time staff vacancy (12-month maternity leave coverage): Provincial Coordinator, Performance Sport. Reporting to the Director of Sport, the primary role of the Provincial Coordinator – Performance Sport is to oversee I·SPARC’s youth-based competitive sport programs, inclusive of Provincial Championships, Athlete Development Camps, and all related Team BC initiatives. The Provincial Coordinator – Performance Sport will coordinate and facilitate the decision-making processes of the organization’s Provincial Sport Committees and establish collaborative partnerships with First Nations, Friendship Centres, Métis Chartered Communities, and Provincial Sport/Multi-Sport Organizations to assist in the design, delivery, and evaluation of these programs. The ideal candidate will possess an extensive background in the area of sport and project management.
Competencies and Requirements
- Post-secondary level education in a relevant discipline
- Applied knowledge of Aboriginal community issues
- Extensive work experience in the area of competitive, performance based sport
- Experience in event coordinating and project management
- Strong verbal and written, communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with others
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with proficiency in Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Able to work independently with limited supervision
- Available to travel to support the design and implementation of programs throughout the province, requiring a flexible work schedule, access to vehicle and a valid driver’s license)
- Successful completion of criminal record and vulnerable sector checks
Term: Temporary full-time employment (maternity leave coverage; ending October 25, 2019)
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Location: Office space will be established in a location central to the successful candidate. The BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres (BCAAFC) serves as the official Host Agency of I·SPARC. Accordingly, the Provincial Coordinator will be employed by the BCAAFC.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references no later than 4:59 pm PST, Tuesday, October 16, 2018 via the following form: https://aboriginalsportbc.wufoo.com/forms/employment-app-prov-coord-12mo-maternity-leave. Cover letter to the attention of Lara Mussell – Director, Sport. All applications are appreciated, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Qualified internal applicants will receive preference.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to qualified applicants of Aboriginal ancestry.