Regional Sport and Physical Activity Coordinator – Vancouver Island Region
The Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity & Recreation Council (I·SPARC) is a provincial organization established for the purpose of improving the health outcomes of Indigenous people by supporting and encouraging physically active individuals, families and communities. The programs and services delivered by I·SPARC are designed to build capacity and increase access to sport, recreation and physical activity in First Nations, Aboriginal Friendship Centres, Métis Chartered Communities, schools, and other delivery agencies throughout British Columbia.
I·SPARC is seeking a candidate to fill the following full-time staff vacancy: Sport and Physical Activity Coordinator for the Vancouver Island Region. Reporting to the Manager, Sport Development & Community Engagement and working closely with the Regional Lead and Coordinating Group of their respective Regional Committee, the primary role of the Regional Coordinator is to engage communities, partners, groups in the design and delivery of community-based, culturally relevant sport, recreation, and physical activity programs for Indigenous people throughout the Region. The ideal candidate will possess an extensive background in the areas of sport, recreation and physical activity and have established networks/connections among Indigenous communities and organizations within the Region. The successful applicant will be required to reside in the region (Vancouver Island regional map available at http://isparc.ca).
- Post-secondary degree/certificate
- Applied knowledge of Indigenous community issues in BC
- Work experience in the field of sport, recreation, and physical activity
- Event and project management experience
- Strong verbal, written communication, and presentation skills
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Able to travel throughout the region to promote and support the delivery of programs (requiring a flexible work schedule and a valid driver’s license)
- Successful completion of criminal record and vulnerable sector checks
Term: This position is a full-time permanent position, contingent on annual funding renewal.
Salary: $46,000 – $50,000 annually (based on a 35 hour work week) which includes a comprehensive health benefit package.
Location: Office space will be established in a central location within the Region. The BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres (BCAAFC) serves as the official Host Agency of I·SPARC. Accordingly, the Regional Coordinator will be employed by the BCAAFC.
To Apply: Please forward a cover letter, resume and three references no later than 5:00 pm PST, Tuesday, May 12, 2020 via the online application form: https://isparcbc.wufoo.com/forms/employment-app-regional-coordinator-vanc-isl/. Cover letter to the attention of Michelle Webster – Manager, Sport Development & Competitions. All applications are appreciated, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants of Indigenous ancestry.
For more information about I·SPARC, please visit www.isparc.ca.