Application deadline: September 7, 2018
(July 20, 2018) The Tom Longboat Awards were established in 1951 to recognize Aboriginal athletes for their outstanding contributions to sport in Canada. With a few exceptions, the Awards have been given out every year since its inauguration. It remains the longest standing and one of the most prestigious awards for the Aboriginal athletes in the country.
As a program of the Aboriginal Sport Circle, the Tom Longboat Awards provide a forum for acknowledging the growth and strength of the Aboriginal sport movement in Canada and its tremendous impact on the sport development from community level participation to elite level competition. The Awards include a male and female category.
For the 2018 program year, all nomination packages will be forwarded directly to the Aboriginal Sport Circle, where a National Selection Working Group will determine the national recipients for the male and female category. The two national recipients will be presented their Awards at the Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on October 18, 2018 in Toronto, Ontario.
The two national recipients will receive the following:
(1) All expenses paid round trip to Toronto with a family member to accept the national award.
(2) A custom-made Tom Longboat Award.
(3) A $1500 bursary to support personal athlete development.
The Awards honour the accomplishments of an athlete within a given program year (September 1st to August 31st). Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible as nominees:
- Applicants must be of Aboriginal descent (inclusive of First Nations, Inuit and Métis).
- Applicants must be active within the year of nomination.
- Applicants must demonstrate sportsmanship, fair play and ethics in sport.
- Applicants must complete a nomination package and submit it on or before the application deadline of September 7th, 2018 at 11:59 E.S.T (Ottowa).
Nomination package : http://www.aboriginalsportcircle.ca/en/pdf/TomLongboatNatlAwards2018.pdf
Online Nomination Form: https://aboriginalsportcircle.wufoo.eu/forms/koimexi1ljnf77/
For more information, please contact:
Aboriginal Sport Circle, Executive Director